Friday, 31 October 2014
19:22 AMIT KUMAR No comments
1) Malala won 2014 World’s Children prize: Champion for girls’ rights Malala Yousafzai, the youngest laureate in history, won the World’s Children’s Prize 2014 on 29 October 2014, after a global vote involving millions of children. “Millions of children have voted to award Malala this year’s World’s Children’s Prize for ,” the organisation said in a . “Nobody has ever received the Nobel Peace Prize and the World’s Children’s Prize, often dubbed the ‘Children’s Nobel Prize’ by the media, in the same year,” it added. This year’s honorary awards went to former Microsoft executive , founder of the Room to Read literacy group, and Indira Ranamagar from Nepal, for her work for prisoners. Nelson Mandela, Graca Machel, Anne Frank and Kofi Annan have previously been honoured.
2) India 142 in latest "Ease of Doing Business" report: - India ranked 142 among the 189 countries surveyed for the latest World Bank’s “Ease of Doing Business” report released on Wednesday, a drop by two places from the last year’s ranking, as Singapore topped the list. The fall in ranking from last year’s 140 is mainly because other nations performed much better, Bank officials said. India’s ranking originally stood at 134 last year, but was adjusted to 140 to account for fresh data. In the 2014 report, India had 52.78 points and this year it scored 53.97 points. The latest ranking, however, does not take into account a slew of measures taken by the Modi government to make India a business friendly destination.
3) World Stroke Day observed: World Stroke Day is observed on October 29 to underscore the serious nature and high rates of stroke, raise awareness of the prevention and treatment of the condition, and ensure better care and support for survivors. On , organizations around the world have facilitated events emphasizing education, testing, and initiatives to improve the damaging effects of stroke worldwide.
4) Harsh Vardhan announces TB-Mission 2020: Underlining the plans of the Indian government to eliminate Tuberculosis , Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan today announced 'TB-Mission 2020'. Vardhan was speaking at WHO's Global TB Symposium titled 'Moving out of the box to end global TB epidemic: with post-2015 strategy. Tuberculosis control was also declared as the dominant agenda for the upcoming meeting of BRICS Health Ministers in December.
5) Government relaxed FDI norms for construction, : The government eased overseas investment rules in construction to attract money into the funds-starved sector and serve its twin objectives of faster job creation and housing for all. The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved a comprehensive proposal by the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP), dropping the minimum 10-hectare rule for serviced housing plots and slashing the minimum floor area for construction development projects to 20,000 sq m from 50,000 sq m to be eligible for overseas investment.
6) Sachin Tendulkar inducted into Don Bradman Hall of Fame: Sachin Tendulkar added another feather to his cap on Wednesday when the Indian batting legend was inducted as one of the latest honourees in the Bradman Foundation. At a gala dinner held at the historic Sydney Cricket Ground, former Australian captain Steve Waugh was the other cricketer to enter the Bradman Hall of Fame alongside Tendulkar.
7) Bangladesh Jamaat chief gets death for war crimes: A Bangladesh war crimes tribunal on Wednesday handed death penalty to Jamaat-e-Islami chief Motiur Rahman Nizami for crimes, which include the killings of nation’s leading intellectuals during the country’s War of Liberation in 1971.
19:21 AMIT KUMAR No comments
1) Devendra Fadnavis to be sworn in as BJP’s first CM:Devendra Fadnavis was on Tuesday elected the leader of the BJP legislature party in Maharashtra, paving the way for his as the first party chief minister of the state. The name of Fadnavis, state BJP president, was proposed by Leader of Opposition in the outgoing Eknath Khadse and seconded by his counterpart in the council Vinod Tawde, and members of the party's core group Sudhir Mungantiwar and Pankaja Munde. The resolution proposing 44-year-old Fadnavis as the leader of the legislature party was unanimously approved by the newly elected MLAs in of Union home minister Rajnath Singh and BJP general secretary in-charge of Maharashtra J P Nadda.
2) 2018 FIFA World Cup logo unveiled: FIFA President Sepp Blatter has revealed the 2018 World Cup logo. While unveiling the logo on a Russian state TV talk show Tuesday, Blatter said the logo would show Russia’s “heart and spirit”, Xinhua. The logo depicts trophy in red and blue, colors from the Russian flag, with a gold trim.
3) Maruti launches : Maruti Suzuki India on Tuesday launched the refreshed version of its popular hatchback Swift with 10 per cent enhanced fuel efficiency, priced between Rs 4.42 lakh and Rs 6.95 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). The model, which was first launched in the country in May 2005, has been re-introduced in both petrol and diesel variants. “The Swift now comes with improved fuel efficiency of 10 per cent and a rich equipment list like push start button, a 60:40 split rear seat, electric retractable outside mirrors, reverse parking sensor and others,” the company’s Executive Director (Marketing & Sales), R S Kalsi said. The company has sold over 12 lakh Swift cars till date.
4) Jual Oram Launched Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojana: Centre has launched Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojana (VKY) for welfare of Tribals. Launching the scheme on the occasion of the meeting of the Tribal Welfare Ministers of States/UTs here today the Union Tribal Welfare Minister Shri Jual Oram said that the scheme been launched on pilot basis in one block each of the States of AP, MP, HP, Telangana, Orissa, Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Gujarat. Under the scheme centre will provide Rs. 10 crore for each block for the development of various facilities for the Tribals.
5) India to modernise Vietnam’s defence forces: Calling India’s defence cooperation with Vietnam “among our most important,” Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave a commitment to “modernise Vietnam’s defence and security forces” on Tuesday after talks with his counterpart Nguyen Tan Dung. The two countries signed several agreements, including a memorandum of understanding for exploration by ONGC Videsh Limited in two blocks in the South China Sea.
6) India slips to 114th spot in WEF Gender Gap Index: India registered a marked deterioration in its performance as measured by a World Economic Forum's Global Gender Gap index that ranked countries on the basis of providing equal opportunity to , education, health and political empowerment. The index for this year places India 114th out of 142 countries, down from the 101st position last year. Last year's top four -- Iceland (1), Finland (2), Norway (3) and Sweden (4) -- retained their rankings. Rwanda entered the index for the first time at the seventh position.
7) UIDAI has issued 70 crore Aadhaar numbers till date: The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has as on date said that 70 crore Aadhaar Cards have been issued. Nine states including Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, have crossed 90% Aadhaar coverage, while sixteen Aadhaar coverage of over 70%.
8) Surya Prakash appointed as Chairman of Prasar Bharti Board: Surya Prakash on 28 October 2014 was appointed as the Chairman of Prasar Bharti Board for a term of three years. He succeeded Mrinal Pande whose term ended on April 2014. He was appointed on the recommendation of a three-member committee headed by Vice President M Hamid Ansari and comprising of Press Council of India Chairman Markandey Katju and Information and Broadcasting Secretary Bimal Julka.
9) Modi government sacked CMDs of 6 PSU banks: The Narendra Modi government has sacked the heads of six Public Sector Unit banks. The move comes after the Chairman of Syndicate Bank was arrested on bribery charges in August. A high-level panel report submitted to the government stated that there were irregularities in the selection process of the Chairman and Managing Directors of these banks. A panel headed by the RBI Governor during the UPA rule had shortlisted the names for Bank of Baroda, Canara Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, United Bank and Vijaya Bank. The government has now scrapped the process and decided to fill vacancies of 8 posts of CMDs and 14 posts of Executive Directors through a fresh process involving RBI Governor or his nominee.
Source : http://www.currentaffairs4examz.com/
19:20 AMIT KUMAR No comments
National Savings Institute (NSI), Ministry of Finance, Government of India jointly celebrated here today the World Thrift Day, in collaboration with World Savings & Retail Banking Institute (WSBI), Brussels. In his message on this occasion, the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi said that “Thriftiness teaches us to be more modest and restrain ourselves in using scarce resources as well as provide support to the developmental efforts by mobilization of resources through National Savings Schemes”. The Union Finance Minister Shri Arun Jaitley in his message stated that “ It should be the endeavour of all the agencies engaged in mobilization of savings to ensure that the savings movement is taken to the farthest corners of our country”.
Speaking on the occasion, Shri G.S. Sandhu, Secretary, Department of Financial Services, Government of India said that the Government of India is committed to boost the savings rate in the country and he also informed that “Pradhan Mantri Jan- Dhan Yojana (PMJDY)” a massive Financial Inclusion Mission has been launched by the Government. It will bring unbanked section of the society into formal financial sector. It was highlighted that various steps have been taken by the banks in this direction. These include opening of basic savings account with zero balance and providing of micro insurance products to the account holders. Beneficiaries would get Rupay Debit Card having inbuilt accidental insurance cover of Rs. 1 lakh. It was highlighted that Department of Posts may also leverage technology and its tremendous reach in this Mission.
Earlier speaking on the occasion, Dr. Rajat Bhargava, Joint Secretary (Budget), Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Government of India told that two new products will be launched soon by the Government. These will be of tremendous significance in increasing the savings rate and giving more choices to small savers. It was further stated that time has come to look for a change and means to provide a safety network in the shape of new products to the young customers.
Department of Posts informed about the modernization measures being taken by them. Ms. Fiona Joyce, Head of International Relations, World Savings Bank Institute (WSBI) assured all cooperation with India in enhancing the savings rate in Indian economy.
Source : PIB
19:13 AMIT KUMAR No comments
North East Postal Circle has today (28 October 2014) published the final result of direct recruitment of PA/SA 2014. You can check the result from the following link. Congratulations to all the selected candidates!!
19:11 AMIT KUMAR No comments